Review USB feature of NaviDrive RT5 (Citroen, Peugeot)

Moderator: C4Forum-Team

hquant
Neuling

Review USB feature of NaviDrive RT5 (Citroen, Peugeot)

Beitragvon hquant » 30.11.2008 19:06

I got my new C4GP last friday and was extremely happy with the new USB port between the front seats. After the weekend I'm more disappointed than not.

I'll do a quick write up in English, so the international community can benefit from my experiments with the RT5 as well. Up to this point not much can be found with regard to the newly added USB-Port of the RT5 System. Sadly that includes Citroen-Websites and more importantly the f***ing NaviDrive manual.

If you want the long and short of it, read no further: the USB feature sucks a**. Certifiably!

This is why:
  • It does not recognize USB sticks with mp3 data reliably. That may be due to size. The 4 Gig model works, the 16 Gig model does not. Well this car is going to be around for approximately 10 Years. By that time a $ 4,99 USB stick is likely ot offer about a terrabyte of storage capacity. The RT5 most likely stops accepting sticks somewhere between 4 and 16 Gig. Waaaay to go!!
  • The USB port will allow an iPod to be attached (not an iPhone though). It will also dislplay all Albums and play all titles. But unless you don't give a crap what is actually played you're still out of luck. Instead of displaying album and song titles, the NaviDrive RT5 recodes them. So you will see something like album title "SDGWE" and song title "HJREERT". If you want to raise your IQ to 180 you can try to learn the corresponding real title by heart. If not go for random play or forget about it alltogether.
  • You can acutally connect a hard drive to the RT5 system. In order to draw enough power, you need a Y-cable and an USB car power adapter ($ 10 item). Then you connect the hard drive to the USB port and USB power adapter and sure enough, you will be able to playback music from your hard drive. You will even see the correct album names and song titles. You can do the same thing with the hard drive feature of your iPod. Just wipe everything off it and copy music to the corresponding drive letter of your windows directory. Again the correct album names and song titles will be displayed. The downside is that you can't playback music with the iPod any more, since the music is in the data directory of it. You basically render the iPod a mere hard drive.
  • But the hard drive option is of limited use anyway since after much experimenting I found out, that the number of songs recognized on any USB medium (stick or drive alike) is limited to a mere 999 titles. Plus it takes the system an eternity to catalogue those titles. With a drive containing 3.700 Titles, it took the system over an hour until titles could acutally be played back. And not the 3.700 mind you, just the frist 999 of them. So even if the system catalogued more than 999 titles, it would still be crippled by the super slow mounting process.
  • To make things even more fun, mounting needs to repeated every time the system shuts down, which is approx. 10 minutes after you leave the car. So would require much more patiences than I'm willing to invest. If you have a 2 hour drive to work every day, you may want to consider it though.

This is a perfect example of how to screw up an extremely potent feature in a way that it almost becomes irrelevant, especially if you look at it long term. The people responsible for this crappy USB implementation must be either total idiots or they are oblivious to pissing off their customer base big time. Not mentioning anything in the manuals adds to the picture.

Surgical
Mitglied

Beitragvon Surgical » 30.12.2009 23:35

hello hquant.
I have had the same problems with my USB Box and USB Sticks.
The solution for me was to buy a Card reader.
Since that day i had not one more failing.
SD Cards works absolutely fine.
Havent had the chance to test a bigger than 2GB yet,but will try a 8GB soon.
Keep U up to date with the tests.
Greetings Hans
Ich weigere mich eine Wissenschlacht zu führen gegen unbewaffnete Leute ;-)

Citroen C4 Hdi 110 FAP Coupe
EZ 01.10.2009
"Tonic" mit weißem Hupensymbol ;-)
C-Display
AHK
Verkauft
Ab 16.01.15
Hyundai I30SW 1.6CRD
Vollaustattung

juezae
Administrator
Beitragvon juezae » 30.12.2009 23:39

Hallo Surgical,
hquant war Jan.2009 letztes mal online.
Viele Grüsse aus Veen!
DS3 e-HDi90 - So Chic Hickory Braun / Onyx Schwarz * Herst.: 10.05.2014
*NAVTEQ/Here Karten 2016-1*
Pers. Galerie juezae ♂

i-racer
PowerUser

Beitragvon i-racer » 02.01.2010 00:55

Hat ja auch keiner geschrieben/geantwortet in seinem Thema :idea:

juezae
Administrator
Füchschen

Beitragvon juezae » 02.01.2010 12:08

Richtig,
zum lesen braucht man ja im Internationalen Bereich nicht angemeldet sein. :?
Viele Grüsse aus Veen!
DS3 e-HDi90 - So Chic Hickory Braun / Onyx Schwarz * Herst.: 10.05.2014
*NAVTEQ/Here Karten 2016-1*
Pers. Galerie juezae ♂

Zurück zu „C4 - International“